[Wien] QTL quantization axis for Y_lm orbitals

pluto pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu
Mon Jan 16 22:46:23 CET 2023

Dear Prof. Blaha,

Thank you for the quick answer.

I am thinking more of a circular dichroism in photoemission, intuitive
approximate orbital-resolved description in some simple cases. For this
one needs the quantization axis (the z-axis) along the incoming light
(this is possible in QTL, as we discussed in previous emails) and the
phases of the coefficients (which, it seems, are not printed-out by
QTL).

I will look into -alm option, thank you for letting me know this option.
As I understand, lapw2 projects orbitals only according to the
coordinate system defined by case.struct file. So I would need to rotate
the coordinate frame to get the new z-axis along the experimental light
direction (I think might be tedious but quite elementary, I think this
is what QTL does).

Best,
Lukasz

On 2023-01-16 18:38, Peter Blaha wrote:
> Hi,
> In lapw2 there is an input option ALM (use   x lapw2 -alm), which
> would write the A_lm, B_lm, as well as the radial wf. into a file.
>
> optical matrix elements: They are calculated anyway in optics.
>
> Regards
>
> Am 16.01.2023 um 17:13 schrieb pluto via Wien:
>> Dear Prof Blaha, dear All,
>>
>> I think QTL provides squared wave function coefficients, which are
>> real numbers. Can we get the complex coefficients, before squaring?
>> The phase might matter in some properties, such as optical matrix
>> elements.
>>
>> I explain in more detail. We can assume some Psi = A|s> + B|p>. Using
>> QTL we will get |A|^2 and |B|^2, and we can plot these to e.g. get the
>> "fat bands", i.e. the orbital character of the bands. But in general A
>> and B are complex numbers, can we output them before they are squared?
>>
>> Best,
>> Lukasz
>>

>> On 22/12/2022 18:12, Peter Blaha wrote:
>>> Subject:
>>> Re: [Wien] QTL quantization axis for Y_lm orbitals
>>> From:
>>> Peter Blaha <peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at>
>>> Date:
>>> 22/12/2022, 18:12