[Wien] QTL quantization axis for Y_lm orbitals

Peter Blaha peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jan 17 11:13:54 CET 2023

a) Yes it is possible to use a "different" local rotation matrix (AFTER
the SCF cycle, and just for the analysis). This way you get the A_lm,...
in this frame.

b) Be aware, that this works only inside spheres, so matrix elements
calculated only from contributions inside spheres will be incomplete
(the LAPW-basis is NOT a LCAO-basis set !!!), though when interested in
localized 3d (4f) electrons it could be a good approximation.

c) Be aware that what you get from qtl are "symmetrized" partial
charges, i.e. the qtl's are averaged over the equivalent k-points in the
full BZ. Note that the A_lm(k=100) are in general different from
A_lm(k=010), even in a tetragonal symmetry, where we usually have only
k=100 in the mesh, but not k=010.

So you probably have to calculate a full k-mesh and sum externally over
the equivalent k-points.

Email: peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
WWW:   http://www.imc.tuwien.ac.at      WIEN2k: http://www.wien2k.at