[Wien] WARNING elpa_setup during lapw1_mpi

Gavin Abo gabo13279 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 21:40:08 CEST 2023

That might be an issue worth asking about over in the Spack Community [1].

Not sure if I'm interpreting the message correctly, but if I am, the
"@1.5.4:2" in the message from spack info I believe is indicating that
thread_multiple will be disabled unless OpenMPI version 1.5.4 [2] to 2
[3] is being used.

In the Spack source code of its current latest version 0.20.0 [4], the
openmpi/package.py file has on lines 662-668:

          # thread_multiple
             if version in spack.version.ver("1.5.4:2"):
                 match = re.search(r"MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE: (\S+?),?", output)
                 if match and is_enabled(match.group(1)):
                     variants.append("+thread_multiple")
                 else:
                     variants.append("~thread_multiple")

Since you are using OpenMPI 4.1.5, I suspect line 663 might need changed
for example to "if version in spack.version.ver("1.5.4:4.1.5"):".
Perhaps there are other changes a Spark developer would know about that
might also be needed for the MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE to work with Spack when
using OpenMPI 4.1.5.

[1] https://github.com/spack/spack/blob/develop/README.md#community

[2] https://www.open-mpi.org/software/ompi/v1.5/

[3] https://www.open-mpi.org/software/ompi/v2.0/