[Wien] Surface dipole of a metal

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 11:14:46 CEST 2023

Dear Gerhard,

Of course why it exists is textbook physics, e.g. the classic Lang-Kohn
paper https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.3.1215. Unfortunately I don't think
a 1979 paper will indicate how to calculate it from Wien2k numbers.

Getting a relative number for the combination of the MIP and surface dipole
is easy -- the difference between E_f and vacuum for a good surface slab.
Separating them is not so easy. The only thing I can think of is the charge
& dipole for each atom (aim) from which one can backout something, or
(maybe) subtract a dstart density potential from the final potential.

--
Professor Laurence Marks (Laurie)
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University