[Wien] Surface dipole of a metal

Peter Blaha peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jun 7 11:30:20 CEST 2023

Maybe:   Use 3ddens (valence only) and integrate the layers and sum them
up properly.

But it could be too inaccurate due to the lousy grids ....

Am 07.06.2023 um 11:14 schrieb Laurence Marks:
> Dear Gerhard,
>
> Of course why it exists is textbook physics, e.g. the classic
> Lang-Kohn paper https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.3.1215. Unfortunately
> I don't think a 1979 paper will indicate how to calculate it from
> Wien2k numbers.
>
> Getting a relative number for the combination of the MIP and surface
> dipole is easy -- the difference between E_f and vacuum for a good
> surface slab. Separating them is not so easy. The only thing I can
> think of is the charge & dipole for each atom (aim) from which one can
> backout something, or (maybe) subtract a dstart density potential from
> the final potential.
>
> --
> Professor Laurence Marks (Laurie)
> Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University
> www.numis.northwestern.edu <http://www.numis.northwestern.edu>
> "Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what
> nobody else has thought" Albert Szent-Györgyi
>
> On Wed, Jun 7, 2023, 01:41 Fecher, Gerhard <fecher at uni-mainz.de> wrote:
>
>     Maybe you find something useful in:
>     Springer Tracts in Modern Physics Vol. 85 Solid Surface Physics
>     (1979)
>     J. HöIzl F.K.Schulte "Work Function of Metals"
>
>     It should be available online as pdf
>

>     Ciao
>     Gerhard
>
>     DEEP THOUGHT in D. Adams; Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:
>     "I think the problem, to be quite honest with you,
>     is that you have never actually known what the question is."
>
>     ====================================
>     Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
>     Institut of Physics
>     Johannes Gutenberg - University
>     55099 Mainz
>     Betreff: Re: [Wien] Surface dipole of a metal
>
>     Dear Saeid,
>
>     Thanks for the suggestion. One can certainly calculate a surface
>     dipole for an adsorbate using the method you suggest, subtracting
>     that for a clean surface from the adsorbed case.
>
>     However, what I want is the dipole of just the metal, e.g. the
>     classic Lang-Kohn form https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.3.1215. I
>     want to separate the dipole from the mean-inner potential component.
>
>     --
>     Professor Laurence Marks (Laurie)
>     Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern
>     University
>     www.numis.northwestern.edu
>     <http://www.numis.northwestern.edu><http://www.numis.northwestern.edu>
>     "Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think
>     what nobody else has thought" Albert Szent-Györgyi
>
>     On Tue, Jun 6, 2023, 11:26
>     <sjalali at sci.ui.ac.ir<mailto:sjalali at sci.ui.ac.ir>> wrote:
>
>     Dear Prof. Laurence Marks,
>     Hi,
>     Thank you for your inquiry. Calculating the surface dipole of a
>     metal can be an interesting and challenging task. While I cannot
>     provide a personal account of testing the DIPOLE option in AIM, I
> [...]

Peter Blaha,  Inst. f. Materials Chemistry, TU Vienna, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: +43-158801165300
Email:peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
WWW:http://www.imc.tuwien.ac.at       WIEN2k:http://www.wien2k.at