[Wien] [WIEN2k] forrtl IO error in x_nmr_lapw for Heavy metal structures (TlF3, HgF2)

Peter Blaha peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
Thu Nov 16 17:10:49 CET 2023

> I recompiled lapw1 with LOMAX = 4 but then the scf cycle fails.

As I said before, you also need to recompile lapw2, lapwso and nmr.

The real
> problem was the used cut off energy of -11 Ry in init_lapw. That
> introduces also too much orbitals in x_nmr -mode in1 and a qtl-b errors
> in the first two loops. After using the default value of -6 Ry for core
> / valence separation, scf cycles converge without QTL-B errors and the
> x_nmr initializations starts with less atomic orbitals and  the
> calculations (x_nmr -p) no longer produces forrtl I/O errors.

Yes, such a low E-cut is dangerous and only necessary if you have
extremely small spheres.

Note: Sometimes it is better to use -ecut 0.999 (or similar). This would
not use the energy as core/valence separation, but the amount of charge
inside the sphere for each orbital. In particular for 5d elements this
is useful as it can put the 4f states into core, but lower energy 5p
states remain valence.