[Wien] Query regarding BVS

shamik chakrabarti shamik15041981 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 18:04:59 CEST 2024

Dear Prof. Marks,

          Please correct me if I am wrong. After BVS we are getting two
numbers at the two lat column. Both are the oxidation state number,
however, the second one is rescaled as PBE gives 1% larger lattice
parameter. Hence, I would choose the 2nd number as oxidation states. In
this regard I have obtained the followings;

AlSnSe2

BVSs are calculated for current lattice parameters

Atom 1 equiv 1 Sn BVS 1.44 1.57

Atom 2 equiv 1 Se BVS 1.59 1.72

Atom 3 equiv 1 Al BVS 1.75 1.88 (approximate oxidation state of Al is +2
here)

Al2Se3

BVSs are calculated for current lattice parameters

Atom 1 equiv 1 Al BVS 2.64 2.82   (approximate oxidation state of Al is +3
here)

Atom 2 equiv 1 Al BVS 2.61 2.79

Atom 3 equiv 1 Se BVS 1.69 1.80

Atom 4 equiv 1 Se BVS 1.76 1.88

Atom 5 equiv 1 Se BVS 1.81 1.93

SnSe2

BVSs are calculated for current lattice parameters

Atom 1 equiv 1 Sn BVS 3.87 4.17 (approximate oxidation state of Sn is +4
here)

Atom 2 equiv 1 Se BVS 1.94 2.09

Li3Ni2SbO6

BVSs are calculated for current lattice parameters

Atom 1 equiv 1 Sb BVS 4.77 5.03  (approximate oxidation state of Sb is +5
here)

Atom 2 equiv 1 Ni BVS 2.27 2.41

Atom 3 equiv 1 Li BVS 0.87 0.92

Atom 4 equiv 1 Li BVS 0.87 0.93