[Wien] Unable to see Li K edges in ELOSS file. Kindly guide.

Peter Blaha peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
Sun Mar 3 20:03:48 CET 2024

I analysed your problem. It has nothing to do with WIEN2k, but is much
more fundamental.

A Li-K edge is per se not a "real edge". It's energy is so low, that it
may overlap with many other excitations, they could be from Fe-3p (or
from other shallow core levels ), but of course also from excitations
from all other valence states into the conduction band.

You can analyse the different contributions to case.joint nicely, by
playing with the band-indices. Download the 4 images

http:www.wien2k.at/Depository/LiFePO4.joint-total.png

http:www.wien2k.at/Depository/LiFePO4.joint-without-Fe-3p.png

http:www.wien2k.at/Depository/LiFePO4.joint-without-Fe-3p-zoom.png

http:www.wien2k.at/Depository/Li-K-edge.png from

They show case.joint ( unbroadened eps_xx) with the following band
ranges in case.injoint (1st line):

     1 9999 9999              : LOWER,UPPER and (optional) UPPER-VAL
BANDINDEX  (total eps_xx)

     13 9999 9999              : LOWER,UPPER and (optional) UPPER-VAL
BANDINDEX (eps_xx without Fe-3p statesI

     13 9999 16              : LOWER,UPPER and (optional) UPPER-VAL
BANDINDEX     (eps_xx only from Li-1s

The Li-1s plot (Li-K-edge) starts as expected only at about 50 eV and
its shape follows closely the Li-2p DOS (not shown), since the Li-1s
bands are really flat (around -2.9 Ry) and "JDOS = DOS". Please look at
the small y-scale !!!!  (Note, such a selective absorption is not
possible experimentally)

The total eps-xx is very large at low energy, and around 53 eV  a sharp
peak appears .

However, when you  cut-off the Fe-3p states (first 12 bands) this peak
is gone, which identifies it as the Fe-3p ("Fe-M--2,3 edge", not the
usual Fe-L-2,3 edge) contribution. Only a very shallow structure can be
seen and when you  zoom in, the Li-1s absorption is visible, but only a
"part of the eps2".