[Wien] Spin units

Straus, Daniel B dstraus at tulane.edu
Fri May 31 16:37:19 CEST 2024

Hello,

What are the units used for magnetic moment in the output? I can't find this in the usersguide or in old emails to this list, other than this message https://wien.zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.narkive.com/zOaBf0py/reg-fixed-spin-moment-calculations that implies the units are Bohr magneton, which I don't think is correct based on my calculations. I am using ver 23.2.

For example, one of my converged SCF calculations (no spin-orbit coupling, in case it's relevant) says the following: ":MMTOT:  SPIN MAGNETIC MOMENT IN CELL     =    4.00012". What are the units for 4.00012? Does this indicate that there are 4 unpaired spin-up electrons per unit cell? This is for a system with four Cu2+ per unit cell, so my impression is that +1 SPIN MAGNETIC MOMENT = 1 spin up electron. I want to confirm, though, because S=1/2 for Cu2+, so if this quantity is defined such that each electron contributes +/- 1/2 to the moment, then I have too many unpaired electrons in my system and something is wrong with my input. I do not think this is in Bohr magnetons because I can't see why I would end up with an integer answer when the spin-only moment of Cu2+ is 1.73 Bohr magnetons.

Sincerely,
Daniel

P. S. Sorry for sending so many emails to this list.

Daniel Straus
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemistry
Tulane University