[Wien] ifc compatability with red-hat 9

L. D. Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Fri May 7 14:55:46 CEST 2004

1) Follow the directions by adding the aaa.o line in the ifc.cfg file, so
for instance it reads
/opt/intel/compiler70/ia32/lib/aaa.o  -Xlinker ....

2) Do not use "-static" in the compiler options (siteconfig). You have to
live with dynamic (shared) libraries which may mean that you have to have
available on all machines in some appropriate location (/opt,
/usr/local/lib for instance) the mkl & possibly the intel shared
libraries. (If you really have to have static, you have to try and
get/compile Red Hat's version of the static threads library. I tried, got
nowhere since it is not really stable, and suggest that unless you are a
real hack you don't attempt it.)

3) Make sure that the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set
appropriately -- see ifcvars.sh (or ifcvars.csh). It is perhaps best if
you include the LD_LIBRARY_PATH at the end of your .bashrc (or whatever
you use) so it is always there, for instance after
"export PATH=$PATH:$WIENROOT"

add

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="Where mkl is"/lib/32:"Where ifc is"/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

"Where mkl is" and "Where ifc is" should be changed to whatever you have.
Remember that these have to be the same location if your are running on
multiple computers.

N.B. I recommend that you use two lines. Although a statement such as

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=...

should work on linux, it is not in fact portable (e.g. to a Sun) so is not
good programming practice.

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Sherif Yehia wrote:

> Dear WiWiensers:
>
> This question addressed before on the FAQ
>
> Problem: The Intel ififcompiler version 7.1 is
> incompatible with REREDHAT.0 (or other Linux version
> with the same new clclibthis is also documented at
> InIntelseb site). We hope that this will be fixed soon
> by Intel (July 3rd 2003).
> WeWenhuiiXiexixiewhun20.ipiphyc.cncnfound a solution
> for this problem:
> 1-Add a file named aaaaa in
> /opt/inintelompiler70/iaia/lib .
> 2-compile it: gcgccO3 -c aaaaa
> 3-change ififcfcfgn /opt/inintelompiler70/iaia/bin
>
> My question is can I get more help please on what
> to do in "step by step"  with  ififcfcfg
> I put that option "after compiling aaaaa" in the
> Linker for sisiteconfigut still compiler is
> incompatible with REREDHAT.0 .
>

> Thanks all for your kikindlyelp
> with regard
> ShSherif