[Wien] w2web behind SSL

Steven Homolya steven.homolya at spme.monash.edu.au
Tue Sep 7 05:29:32 CEST 2004

Dear WIEN2k users,

I would like to set up w2web as an https server (as opposed to plain old
http), but I'm not having much luck.

My first problem was that the users' guide does not actually tell us how
to start w2web behind an SSL, nor does the setup script ask if the user
wants https or http. After combing through the w2web perl script I
managed to figure that a line like:

ssl=1

in .w2web/<hostname>/conf/w2web.conf will do the job.

So far so good, now w2web starts with the encouraging message:

w2web server started, now point your web browser to
https://<hostname>:7890

But when I visit https://<hostname>:7890 with mozilla (running on the
same machine), I get this error message:

Mozilla and <hostname> cannot communicate securely because they have no
common encryption algorithms.

In mozilla 1.6 have all the SLL stuff enabled (under Edit -> Preferences
-> Privacy & Security -> SSL:Edit_Ciphers). I also have the ssleay,
libcrypt-ssleay-perl and libnet-ssleay-perl packages installed.

Since my browser setup seems fine and I have no problem viewing &
interacting with encrypted web pages, I'm guessing that w2web+openssl is
using a low quality encryption that mozilla refuses to deal with. I have
searched the web for some clues but I'm really at a loss.

The OS is Debian Sarge and it's running on a Pentium 4.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

--
Steven Homolya
School of Physics and Materials Engineering