[Wien] How to free the memory after a parallel session?

Jeff Spirko spirko at Lehigh.EDU
Mon Mar 20 16:37:18 CET 2006

Mahmoud Payami wrote:
> Dear All,
> After a parallel session, the memories of all nodes become saturated
> (without any use).
> How can I free them without rebooting?
> I would be grateful if anybody gives some hints.
> Bests,
>           mahmoud
Check the "free" command on those nodes and look at the line with "+/-
buffers/cache" to see if the memory is really not free.  Also, check to
see if there are any lapw* processes still running on those machines.
Sometimes if the controlling lapw1para crashes, the individual lapw1c
processes don't get killed.  You may have to kill them manually with
"killall -9 lapw1c" on the nodes.

If the processes are not running, the memory should get released, even
if the programmer forgot to do it, so that memory must be buffers/cache
or owned by some process on the nodes.

--
Jeff Spirko   spirko at lehigh.edu   spirko at yahoo.com   WD3V   |=>

The study of non-linear physics is like the study of non-elephant biology.