[Wien] How to free the memory after a parallel session?

sayede adlane dft22000 at yahoo.fr
Mon Mar 20 18:18:34 CET 2006

The top command can give you up-to-the-second
reporting of system load, memory usage, and CPU
utilization. It is distributed as part of the procps
package. You can monitor Memory usage (RES) with N,
CPU usage with K, and kill a Process (to free memory)
with k.

Adlane,

--- Jeff Spirko <spirko at Lehigh.EDU> wrote:

> Mahmoud Payami wrote:
> > Dear All,
> > After a parallel session, the memories of all
> nodes become saturated
> > (without any use).
> > How can I free them without rebooting?
> > I would be grateful if anybody gives some hints.
> > Bests,
> >           mahmoud
> Check the "free" command on those nodes and look at
> the line with "+/-
> buffers/cache" to see if the memory is really not
> free.  Also, check to
> see if there are any lapw* processes still running
> on those machines.
> Sometimes if the controlling lapw1para crashes, the
> individual lapw1c
> processes don't get killed.  You may have to kill
> them manually with
> "killall -9 lapw1c" on the nodes.
>
> If the processes are not running, the memory should
> get released, even
> if the programmer forgot to do it, so that memory
> must be buffers/cache
> or owned by some process on the nodes.
>
> --
> Jeff Spirko   spirko at lehigh.edu   spirko at yahoo.com
> WD3V   |=>
>
> The study of non-linear physics is like the study of
> non-elephant biology.

  Sayede D. Adlane.
  LPCIA, F.R.E. 2485 CNRS,
  Facult� des sciences Jean Perrin,
  Universit� d'Artois, sp 18, rue Jean Souvraz,
  62307 Lens cedex, France.
  Tel.: +33-3-21791771
  FAX: +33-3-21791717
  Email: sayede at lens.univ-artois.fr