[Wien] Wien 2K Startup

Torsten Andersen thor at physik.uni-kl.de
Thu Nov 23 08:15:28 CET 2006

Dear Malik,

Initialization is done using init_lapw, which users usually should do
"by hand", since it takes "minutes" only. In order to run the system,
the run*_lapw scripts are used (see chapter 5). Each of these scripts
calls several programs, depending on the desired calculation.

If you are using a queue-system, there are many other things to
consider. For time-limited queues, one need an estimate of the time a
cycle takes, and to create a queue that is suitable for this. If the
program is to be distributed over several, at submit time unknown,
machines, an environment variable has to contain a list of allocated
CPUs, which can then by the submit script be translated into a .machines
file for wien2k.

There need to be a scratch directory with a unified name on all nodes
(but not necessarily a shared directory).

Disk I/O traffic is very high (enormous) in the programs lapwso and
lapw2. It takes a fast RAID array to make these programs use 100% CPU
time...

Best regards,
Torsten Andersen.

Malik wrote:
> Dear Tosrsten,
> Many thanks for your help, By Command-line version of the tutorial i
> mean to say If i have the struct file already with me then what commands
> i need to execute and in what order to get the results of the application.
> I infact dont know much about wien2k, So i can not validate the output
> produced by the application as a result of any command.
> I just have to find out a Solution for porting the application on to the
> Grid. for that i want to know the sequence in which commands must be
> executed for a successful run.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Malik.
>

> Torsten Andersen wrote:
>

>>Dear Malik,
>>
>>well, then Chapter 5... these scripts are what w2web calls for running
>>the programs, except for generating the structure file. w2web is not a
>>required interface if you know how to use shellscripts...
>>
>>I do not know what you mean by a "command-line version of the tutorial".
>>It exists in Postscript and PDF in the SRC directory. There is no "help"
>>mode of the "software"... but you can call the scripts with "-h" to get
>>hints.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Torsten.
>>
>>Malik wrote:
>>

>>>Dear Torsten,
>>>
>>>I wanted to have a Command-line version of the tutorial, the one
>>>provided in the chapter 3 uses the w2web server and does things in the
>>>background.
>>>could you  please point to a location where i can find such a tutorial.
>>>many thanks,
>>>
>>>Malik.

Dr. Torsten Andersen        TA-web: http://deep.at/myspace/
AG Hübner, Department of Physics, Kaiserslautern University
http://cmt.physik.uni-kl.de    http://www.physik.uni-kl.de/