[Wien] multiplicity

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Sun Sep 30 15:03:02 CEST 2007

> Just another question:
> If I now make 2*2*2 supercell of such unit cell, will I then get in
> band structure 8* more bands for O-2p for instance?

For a supercell, 2*2*2 refers to the conventional cell. Therefore, the
volume of the supercell is

8*2=16 times larger than the primitive cell if you select P for the supercell
8*2/2=8 times larger if you select B
8*2/4=4 times larger if you select F

In any case, the case.struct of your supercell will have for all atoms
the correct multiplicity in the primitive cell of the supercell, and
you can right away get the number of bands from this.

Stefaan

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stefaan Cottenier"
> <Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be>

>>> Regards,