[Wien] [SPAM?] Installation Problems: Cygwin & FreeBSD

Gavin Abo gsabo at bama.ua.edu
Mon Sep 1 02:14:34 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm a new user of WIEN2k and still an amateur with Linux.  I would like to get started using Cygwin and FreeBSD until we get an actual Linux box such as with Red Hat.  I'm having trouble with the base programs and compiling of WIEN2k, which I will describe in more detail below along with my questions.  If anyone has some instructions written up for installing on either or can further be of help,  please let me know.  Thanks in advance. -Gavin

1) Cygwin

Running Windows XP with Cygwin, Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13 GHz processor, 2 GB RAM, and a 250 GB hard drive.

I installed g95 by following the compiling instructions at:

http://www.g95.org/src.shtml

I made a symbolic link with help from:

http://www.g95.org/docs.html#starting

I installed Lapack using the setup.exe and choosing lapack under the math category.

I expanded the WIEN2k distribution according to the User's Guide.

I then ran ./siteconfig_lapw using generic.

I set the fortran compiler to g95 and the C compiler to gcc (expect it will call cygwin package rather than from g95 install).

According to a past post, I should use -O for the compiler options:

http://zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/pipermail/wien/2004-December/004226.html

If I compile with the options below, I get errors.  I know there is problem with using these options, since the compiler is not finding the lapack library (not sure where the library is located and how it can be passed through ./siteconfig_lapw).  Thus, this is were I'm stuck.

O   Compiler options:        -O
L   Linker Flags:            -L../SRC_lib
P   Preprocessor flags       '-DParallel'
R   R_LIB (LAPACK+BLAS):     -llapack_lapw

What compiler options might I use?

2) FreeBSD

Running FreeBSD 5.4, AMD Athlon XP 2800+ processor, 1 GB RAM, and a 120 GB hard drive.

I'm more stuck here.  How can I install ifc, g95, or gfortran?  I tried the FreeBSD x86 binary (current snapshot) from here:

http://ftp.g95.org/

However, it seems to be only for version 7 since I get an error stating /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.7" not found, required by "g95".  They have other binary versions, but I see no indication of what FreeBSD version the binary is for.

I see gfortran under /usr/ports/lang/gfortran.  However, when I try to run a make install clean, I get an error that gcc-core-4.0-20050319.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.

I found instructions on installing ifc in FreeBSD here:

http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200209/ifc.html

However, the instructions seem to be old as freshports shows that the linux_devtools-7 package has been deleted:

http://www.freshports.org/devel/linux_devtools-7/

I thought I read somewhere that FreeBSD has an Linux emulation layer built in, so I'm wondering if the emulation package above is necessary or if there is an alternative package in use.

I can download the latest ifc (Releases 8.0 - 10.1) and mkl (9.0 - 10.0) packages for linux.  What is the latest release and minor version that is known to be stable?

There are some posts of FreeBSD users, such as

http://zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/pipermail/wien/2003-November/001574.html

However, there is not mention of what FreeBSD version was being used or the complete compile options.