[Wien] mBJ + U

Pablo de la Mora pm at hp.fciencias.unam.mx
Wed Feb 8 15:18:57 CET 2012

Dear Wien-users,
I have a system with a 4d and a 4f elements.
This system is an insulator, so my approach would be to use the mBJ
potential.

The normal calculation gives a small gap with the 4f peak above but
close to the gap.
Using the mBJ potential opens the gap considerably but moves the 4f peak
into the gap and Ef is on the 4f peak. The calculation does not seem to
converge. One could say that the system is an insulator since the the 4f
orbitals are quite localized.
If I put the mBJ potential plus a Hubbard U then the gap remains the
same, but the 4f peak moves down in energy outside the gap.
So, what is the correct solution? mBJ or 'mBJ + U'?

I have a further problem, I want to add spin-orbit coupling, but it
seems to have problems with the mBJ potential.

     Yours

             Pablo