[Wien] Is it possible artificially shift Fermi level for optical calculations?

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Nov 11 15:10:17 CET 2014

a) Is it necessary that you create a supercell with such a dipole ?
    Can't you put the graphene on both sides and make a symmetric slab ?

b) The easiest way is probably to rerun   x lapw2 -fermi with different
NE in case.in2. Vary NE until EF is where you want it. However, I don't
think it helps you much with optic. When you change EF in this way, your
"semiconductor" is a metal and you will include such transitions in the
optic calculations.

If suggestion a) is not possible ?? one could eventually add an electric
field, but all these things are uncontrolled approximations. If graphene
is affected by the semiconductor, you need a simulation cell which is
large enough to do it right.