[Wien] f orbital under an external magnetic field

Bin Shao binshao1118 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 00:56:32 CEST 2015

Dear Martin Pieper,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, the energy difference can be observed by the photoluminescence
experiment. I want to make a demonstration for the experiment from
first-principles calculation.

May I just ask why you go for the energy and not for the magnetization or
> the susceptibility?

I don't know how to calculate the susceptibility of a material from
first-principles calculation. According to the definition, it is a constant
indicates the response of a material to an external magnetic field. I have
got the magnetic moments for a give field, then how to get the
susceptibility? Besides, I think the magnetic moments are almost the same
as 4T when I changed the magnitude of the magnetic field.

  If there is some change of the crystal field ground state this should
> show.

Do you mean that the magnetic filed may be change the crystal field? I am
not quite sure how to connect these two things, the magnetic field and
crystal field.

Best,

Bin

Email: binshao1118 at gmail.com