[Wien] case.klist_band for band structure calculation having R-3c spacegroup

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue May 17 08:54:47 CEST 2016

Selection of a MEANINGFUL "bandstructure" for these low-symmetry phases
is a non-trivial task. You have to experiment a bit and checkout which
directions are meaningful and give new information.

  Gama-T-L-FB-Gama-T-L

does not sound very "meaningful" (why do you repeat Gamma-L-T ? how do
you come from T to L ??)

Yes, if you want to use the labels as in the Bilbao server, you need to
work with primitive cell.

LD(u,u,u) is a "direction", not a single point. When going from Gamma to
T (.5,.5,.5) you go along LD.

Of course, one can also the conventional cell (which is a hexagonal
cell) and select a few points: You can see

(0,0,.5) transfers to (1/6,1/6,1/6) in case.klist_band
(.5,0,.5) -->          2    2   -1    6
(.5,0,0) -->           1    1   -2    6
i.e.: the hexagonal vectors are converted anyway into the rhombohedral ones.

Important is, that you identify in your publication what the labels
mean, sometimes people even show a small BZ with their labels.