[Wien] Query about SOC in WIEN2k

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Nov 5 17:43:10 CET 2016

There are a lot of problems in your calculations:

Usually the energy difference between 2 such calculations is extremely
small and one must be very careful to get meaningful numbers.

When you do initso  for a spinpolarized system, the symmetry can be
reduced. In such cases you MUST take the newly generated struct file.

 > Do you want to use the new structure for SO calculations ? (y/N)   N

This is the wrong answer !

In fact, one should even do the calculations for the different
magnetization directions with the same symmetry (eventually in P1). Thus
checkout what symmetries you get for the different directions and choose
the one which is compatible with all cases.
Check your case.inorb/dmc files in case that the number of atoms has
been changed.

Important:
Increase Emax in case.in1 to a VERY large number (10 Ry), and test your
results with respect to this EMAX.
Increase the k-mesh (for the final low-symmetry struct file) to a very
good one AND TEST the convergence. of your results.

With such a struct file you run again (in the same directory) the non-so
calculation to selfconsistency with a good k-mesh and good convergence:
runsp -orb -ec 0.000001 -cc 0.000001

Since the E differences are very small, set the DEs  in case.in1 to a
smaller value like:
0   -4.09      .0001 STOP 1
                ^^^^^^^  DE

Once the non-so calculation is converged:

save_lapw non_so

Now the force theorem:
select  001 direction in case.inso
x lapw1 -up/dn
x lapwso -up -orb
x lapw2 -so -up/dn
cp case.scf2up/dn 001_kmesh_emax.scf2up/dn

select other direction(s) and repeat the above steps.
Compare the band energies listed in the scf2xx files.

for the energy:
select 001 direction
runsp  -so -orb -ec 0.000001 -cc 0.000001
save 001_kmesh_emax

restore non_so
do everything again for another direction.

Make sure to check EMX and kmesh convergence.

PS: I've never done MCA calculations using GGA+U !!