[Wien] Units in Stoner criteria

Alex alexanderwien2k at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 03:51:06 CET 2017

Dear all,

I was wondering that what the correct units of Stoner parameter (*I*) and
DOS(*E*_F) (density of state at Fermi level) used in the Stoner criteria of
magnetism (*I**DOS(*E*_F) >‌ 1) is?
Does DOS(*E*_F) should have a unit of (atom/energy) or (atom/volume/energy)
... and then similar change for the unit of *I*?
Different defined units for them in different literatures cause confusion
(for me), or for example when Coulomb repulsion (*U*) is used instead of
*I,* the Stoner criteria change to *U**D*(E_*F*) > *(1/v) where v is the
unit cell volume*.*
Or for instance inspection of the formulas of 14--27 of below reference [1]
convinces me that the unit of volume is missing somewhere.

[1].
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.92.9357&rep=rep1&type=pdf

In my specific case I consider an simple FCC Ni, and then in non-magnetic
phase I calculated the DOS(*E*_F) for one of the Ni atoms such that the
integration of the corresponding DOS curve until the Fermi level gives
around 10 electron.

Thanks for you help.

Regards,
Alex