[Wien] Units in Stoner criteria

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Fri Dec 8 20:09:32 CET 2017

Not an expert on the subject, but below are my comments.

For /I/*DOS(/E/_F), whether you use

/I/ in eV and DOS(/E/_F) in 1/eV [1,2]

or

/I/ in (eV*spin*f.u.)/states and DOS(/E/_F)in states/(eV*spin*f.u.) [3]

or

another unit variant such aswith energy in Ry [4].  It does not look
like it matters as long as /I/*DOS(/E/_F) comes out unitless for the
dimensional analysis and has appropriate values/constants.

Note: For natural units (atomic units of WIEN2k [5]), while they have
the advantage of simplicity, their can sometimes be a loss of
information for dimensional analysis [6].  Thus, you may want to use SI
units [7].

For //U/*/D/(E_/F/) > /(1/v) with D/(E_/F/)/ in atom/volume/energy and
perhaps U in 1/(atom/energy), if you multiple both sides of the equation
by v:

//U/*/D/(E_/F/)*v > /(1/v)*v

//U/*/D/(E_/F/)*v > /1

then

//U/*/D/(E_/F/) > /1

with D/(E_/F/)/ now in atom/energy.

[1] https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00785221 ,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solidstatesciences.2012.12.003
[2]
http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/textbooks/WIEN2k_lecture-notes_2011/Schwarz_magnetism.pdf
(slide 7) ,
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg05254.html
[3] http://yclept.ucdavis.edu/Publ/tiau-prb-20april.pdf ,
https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.95.205124
[4]
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg05127.html
[5]
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg15660.html
[6] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_units
[7] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_base_unit
[8] No Stoner parameter in WIEN2k output file:
http://zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/pipermail/wien/2014-April/020942.html