[Wien] Hund's Exchange parameter (J)

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Sat May 12 20:13:50 CEST 2018

Sorry, I don't know, but maybe more details about your calculation would
be needed for someone else to answer your question.

For example, are you doing something similar to the Constraint U
exercise [
http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/textbooks/Constraint_U.pdf ],
which uses the F^0_eff formula of EPL vol. 69, 777 (2005) [
https://doi.org/10.1209/epl/i2004-10416-x ,
https://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0412560v1 (equation 4)]?

For NiO [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg14460.html
,
http://wien2k-algerien1970.blogspot.com/2016/08/how-to-calculate-u-parameter-in-nickel.html
], I think that gave about:

ε3d_up = 0.119

ε3d_dn = -0.282

If those are the same parameters as in equation 11 of Phys. Rev. B vol.
44, 943 (1991) [ https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.44.943 ], then it
looks like that would be:

J = ε3d_up - ε3d_dn = 0.12 - (-0.28) = 0.401

Though, one has to keep in mind that the Ueff values obtained from the
Constrained method are known to be of questionable accuracy [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg15599.html
].  So, the J values might be of questionable accuracy as well. In
addition, well converge results can be needed for such calculations [
https://www.researchgate.net/post/How_to_calculate_U_and_or_J_values_of_DFT_U
].