[Wien] LDA+U

Gerhard Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Wed Jul 26 09:37:36 CEST 2006

Sorry but I have to intervene another time.
Please apologize this hard words, but this is distribution of half-knowledge, please stop that kind of discussion, it will bring more confusion than answers.

For example, there is by no means a direct relation telling if U is zero then electrons are delocalised.

Correlation is already included in LDA thats why one has an exchange-correlation functional. However, as its name (LDA) tells it is an Aproximation.
I cannot repeat here the complete theory and all details of DFT and LDA with its various extensions, therfore I strongly suggest that you use some good textbooks as a starting point (e.g.: Martin, Electronic structure, Cambridge).

You may be partially right, but not that way. There is no experiment that is able to measure U and there is no method to calculate U ab-initio! There are only methods to estimate U from both experiment and calculation by some approximations.

Ciao
Gerhard